Disability Studies Certificate
The interdisciplinary Disability Studies Certificate provides undergraduate and graduate students with the most intensive and focused learning experience at the IHDD. It is designed to supplement degrees granted from academic departments across campus, including those in disability-related fields, such as Special Education, therapeutic Recreation, or Speech Communication, as well as degrees from departments that do not traditionally offer disability-related content, such as Business, Journalism, and Environmental Design. You will learn about disability as an issue of diversity rather than difference, of strength rather than deficit. Disability is presented as a social construct rather than a characteristic of an individual.
Hear from some of IHDD’s recent Certificate recipients to learn more about their experience with our program.
How will I benefit from completion of the Disability Studies Certificate?
- Link to national network of Interdisciplinary Trainees through the AUCD.
- Participate in AUCD's Early Career Professionals group.
- Document your area of specialization in disability issues.
- Increase your marketability as professionals.
- Increase your understanding of the social context of disability.
- Students with disabilities explore your identities as men and women with disabilities.